Thermo-Tech offers one of the most complete ranges of vacuum thermal processing services available in North America. Our facility has a full line of vacuum heat treatment equipment to suit all your requirements, regardless of size or complexity. Below is a listing of our capabilities:
- High Pressure Vacuum Hardening Furnaces with capabilities up to a 15 Bar Quench
- Thermonite (Gaseous Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing and Nitriding)
- Cryotherm (Cryogenic Treatment)
- Thermox (Steam Oxidation Treatment)
- Tempering (Vacuum, Atmosphere)
- Stress Relieving (Vacuum, Atmosphere)
- Annealing (Vacuum, Atmosphere, Bright)
- Precipitation Hardening (Ageing, Solution Annealing)
- Specialized Racking / Fixturing
ThermoniteSM (Gaseous Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing and Nitriding) imparts high wear resistance to ferrous alloys (iron and steel), and is suitable for parts requiring high surface hardness, wear/erosion resistance, and resistance to atmospheric corrosion.
CryothermSM (Liquid Nitrogen Cryogenic Treatment) is a controlled sequence of repeated heating and cooling to cryogenic temperatures, which enhances material performance in terms of higher fatigue strength, wear resistance, hardness and dimensional stability.
Improving Part Performance with Thermox Treatments
THERMOX™ is a controlled oxidation process of metals to produce a stable thin layer of oxide on the surface of a component. This process can be used to provide a component with increased corrosion resistance, better wear resistance, increased surface hardness, an attractive surface finish and, in the case of porous materials such as powder metal, seal the part porosity.
- Acts as a buffer between steel and liquid metals extending part life
- Improves corrosion resistance delaying the onset of corrosion in stored parts
- Provides a pleasing cosmetic appearance
- Increased surface hardness leading to improved productivity with THERMOX™ II treatment
- Enhances the metal’s ability to retain lubricants reducing wear
- Reduces friction and adhesion between the work material and the tool
- Seals voids in porous materials such as powder metal parts
THERMOX™ can be used in the following applications:
- Die casting inserts, ejector pins, and other components of liquid metal handling systems
- Components exposed to general corrosion
- Decorative ferrous parts
- Extrusion components
- Forging dies
- Cutting tool holders
- Powder metal parts
THERMOX™ can be applied to work pieces up to 36” wide by 48” long and up to 3000 lbs.
BOHLER-UDDEHOLM also offers THERMOX™ II —a duplex process for even greater surface integrity
Please contact us for more information.
Thermo-Tech operates a metallurgical laboratory which provides a wide range of inspection testing and failure analysis services. We are uniquely positioned to solve problems across multiple disciplines by working in conjunction with our heat treatment and steel divisions.
Not only do we find the root cause of the failure, we provide workable solutions for your metallurgical problems. Contact us today for project based product research and development.
- Failure analysis of machine components/ tools
- Corrosion analysis and prevention
- Metallurgical materials testing and evaluation
- Contract based production process failure investigation and problem resolution
- Surface enhancement though coatings
- Material selection and process specifications
- Metallographic examination (micro and macrostructure)
- Fracture examination by optical and SEM microscope
- Mechanical properties testing
- Hardness testing
- SEM, EDS and XRD analysis
- Chemical analysis/ material grade confirmation
- Case depth, micro-hardness and surface studies
- Non-destructive testing
Thermo-Tech is AS9100C and ISO 9001:2008 certified.
Thermo-Tech recognizes that Tool Steel often needs to be welded; this is especially true for expensive tooling like die-casting dies, large forging dies, plastic moulds, car body dies and blanking tools where repair and adjustment via welding is highly cost attractive in comparison with the expense of producing new tooling. Let our experts evaluate your welding needs.
We offer the following services for Tool Steel Welding:
- Magnetic Particle Inspection
- Weld Joint Preparation
- Ultrasonic Inspection
- Pre/Post Heating Capabilities
- Annealing Capabilities
Thermo-Tech is certified to ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100C standards. We received Nadcap Accreditation in 2011. In addition to our stringent quality assurance standards, we are committed to providing Heat Treatment and Metallurgical services that comply with customer approved specification and applicable certification standards.
- Part Submission / Process Approval Documentation
- Product and Customer Specific Certification
- Microstructure Exam Reports
- Detailed Hardness
- Test Reports Heat-charts
- Industry Specific Certification